Meet Samantha


Joining the army. 
Making it through all the training and facing some fears to become a soldier and a Military police officer as a female, which people find hard to believe by looking at my size.


After basic, I found out I was going to be a mom two months after returning home. In May of 2011 I became a single mom. Until August 2016, I was married, raising my son and working random hours to make everything work for my family.


Being a soldier was hard for me, but adding being a mom was harder. I never knew when I would have to leave or for how long I would be away from my son. I did anywhere from three day trainings to three week trainings in other states. I had to leave my son without having much communication with him. 


In 2015 I was deployed for the first time for nine months. Being a single mom and recently engaged, it was really hard, but I knew it wasn't as bad as some soldiers and I was going to a safe place. 
Being separated from someone who solely relies on you makes being away harder. 
My deployment had a lot of ups and downs, but I made it through. I spent six years in the reserves and now I am getting out. 







No comments